Saturday, August 8, 2009

Feel like I'm in a rut

Today I am 14 weeks, and for the most part, I'm doing well. My OB appt. this past Tuesday went well. I got to hear the heartbeat, and I was invited back on Aug. 18th to meet the new doctor. According to the scale, I haven't gained any weight so far...which is surprising considering my belly finally popped. (Still doesn't stop me from doing belly checks.) My appetite is great, although I get indigestion from everything it seems. I still don't sleep real well though. I'm okay when i first fall asleep, but towards the wee hours of the morning I start to toss and turn. My hips hurt from having to sleep on my side. I flip from the right side to the left and finally I just get up and sit on the couch in a half-reclined position and try to doze.

I'm getting around to telling the last of my friends and family our big news, and it feels good to finally have it out in the open. I should be feeling on top of the world, and there are moments when I do...but I think a part of me is still afraid to be happy. I read alot, which my CNP likes--she says it's good to be well informed--but at the same time I'm learning about all the things that can still go wrong. My latest fear is, of all things, having an incompetant cervix. This is where the cervix thins out and shortens as the baby gets bigger and the uterus pushes down on the cervix. It can cause you to miscarry the baby or deliver preterm. The scary thing is, there are no symptoms like bleeding or pain. I don't know how common it is, and I don't know if doctors routinely check for a thinning cervix, but you can bet I will be mentioning it at my next appt.

I am eagerly awaiting the first time I feel the baby move. I think it will be soon, especially if the baby continues to be as active as he has been when we 'check up' on him with the doppler and when we were at the ultrasound. Plus, the way I've been paying attention to every little cramp, gas bubble, and twinge in my belly, I am sure to notice a different sensation.

Until then, I'm trying to hang in there. Except for the aforementioned gastric malodies, it is so quiet down there. I keep telling myself that it's just a sign that everything's fine, but I don't deal well with sameness! Silly. Plus, my hormones and the fatigue are making me extra emotional. And work is depressing, but that's a whole other story that I don't feel like getting into right now.

It's time for bed. Tomorrow starts my work week, and it's sure to be a boring day (Sundays usually are). It will be a lonely evening, too, because Nate will be gone all day tomorrow. Once a month he does routine sanitization of some equipment for the hospital6 he works at, and it takes 16 hours. The plus side is, he gets Friday off next week, so we will have 2 full days together to celebrate our 10 year anniversary! Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment